Sunday, November 11, 2012

Dante's The Inferno

It seems as though the human race as a whole has always been really curious about the afterlife. If thete really is a heaven and help then what's it like. Is heaven peaceful and a place where God reigns over all and everythong? Is Help cruel and full of punishment inflicted upon the gruesome Devil himself?
Dante does a great job painting ten image of Hell. It's just a walk through Hell, Dante is your guide, and your along for the ride. You travel through what Dante defines as the nine circles of Hell and witness first hand the fates of sinners.
For the first time we have an understanding of what one part of our afterlife could be like. Each circle with its own terms of punishment and sinners. The circles are described all in vivid detail and incorporate details from history. Like people such as Virgil, Odysseus, Homer, the Pope etc...
Dante even uses mythical creatures such as the Cerberus and Minos. Both creatures told about through history. Dante even uses terra rima all throughout his book which is a fork of rhyming. In the end Dante paints a picture if the most feared place in afterlife, Hell.

3 comments:

  1. I'm actually interested in Dante's Inferno. I'm more interested in what happens after you pass away than I really should be, haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is very impressive that Dante created all three books in terra rima due to the element of difficulty. I give him a lot of credit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your thoughts seem to be a lot like mine about the Inferno. I find the book interesting because it does paint a picture of what the afterlife could be like.

    ReplyDelete