Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Encyclopedias, Dictionarys, Thesaurus Exist ??

When the last time you honestly opened up a dictionary and looked up the definition of word? How about the last time you actually used an encyclopedia to find information for a project? Or here's one, how bout using a thesaurus when your trying to improve the quality of your writing? All great questions, but really gets me is how did this all happen?
I remember growing up, teachers would take the time to use things like dictionarys, encyclopedias and maybe even a thesaurus. But now whenever we need to find out the definition of word, find out facts for a report, or when find a better word for perhaps food, you know what we do? We use the all mighty internet to get our answers. Instead of cracking open a book we go straight to our web browser.
Now simply because we have websites such as Dictionary.com, Google.com, Ask.com, the list goes on and on, there's no reason to look up things in a book. So why bother opening up a book and putting in a little effort. When all we got to do is type what were looking for in our web browser and within seconds we have what were looking for.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I know what you mean. Everything we need nowadays is simply a click away, and I feel it's making us lazier and lazier. Soon, humanity will be made up of people like in the Wall-E movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. The world is based around technology now. I don't remember the last time I opened a dictionary. Actually, I don't even think I own one anymore. But I do own an iPhone with "dictionary.com" app on it. (:

    ReplyDelete